Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

March 30, 2012 Northwest Herald Dr. Gizmo Column



"Dr. Gizmo"
By Phil Arendt

New Sensors Are Not The Cure
Question 1
I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with a V-6 engine.  I think it is a 3.0-liter.  The car is in great shape even though it has 127,000 miles.  I have owned it since it was new and treat it like a baby with oil changes every 2,000 miles.

The trouble is that the check engine light turns on in the morning every time I start.  I’ve taken the car to two different repair shops more than once to have the cause repaired. 

Each time I take the car to a repair shop a technician finds codes that indicate a problem with the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor.  Both sensors have been replaced more than once.  When the sensors have been replaced the engine does not start or run any better.  After the sensors are replaced the check engine light is off and remains off for up to two weeks.  Once a week or two passes the light turns on when I start in the morning and it remains on until the sensors are replaced once again. 

It’s been about two weeks since the last time the sensors were replaced.  The light turned on yesterday.  The technician working on the car has a great reputation.  He has done some tests on the sensors.  He says they pass tests and are working fine.  He suggests that I drive with the light turned on.  He says at some point the trouble will become worse and stall the engine.  He says when it happens he will be able to determine the cause of the trouble.

The engine runs fine with the light on, but I’m afraid the engine will stall and I’ll be stranded.  Do you have any suggestions?  A.S.M., e-mail

Answer 1
Sure. Swap cars with your technician.  He can drive yours until it stalls and you can drive his until your car is fixed.
  
It is possible your engine will stall, but from your description of the trouble it is not likely to occur.  Since it appears the trouble is not related to failed sensors ask your technician to consider checking the computer.  Maybe terminals in the computer plug are loose or corroded.  Perhaps there is an internal problem.  There have been times under circumstances such as yours that tapping on the computer turns off the check engine light.  In an instance such as this, replacing the computer resolved the issue.

Oil Consumption Under Scrutiny
Question 2
My 2004 Acura TL with a 3.2-liter engine burns a quart of oil every 800 miles.  It has 60,000 miles on it.  I also have a warranty that I purchased a couple of years ago.  I took the car to my local shop that works with warranty companies.  The warranty company wants the shop to do an oil consumption test and determine the cause of the trouble before they will cover repairs.  They also wanted service records.  I gave them copies of everything I have done to the car including receipts and a log for all the oil I have had to add but they still want the shop to do an oil consumption test.

I suspect the shop and the warranty company are giving me the run-around.  The shop wants me to pay for repairs.  They said I can send the warranty company receipts and I’ll be reimbursed.

What do you think?  H.T., e-mail

Answer 2
Long ago I owned a 1970 Pinto station wagon that burned a quart of oil every 200 miles.  The front passenger floor rusted away, too.  It burned oil so ravenously it was almost sucking crude directly from an oil well.  One benefit was there were no mosquitos in my neighborhood.

At this point don’t authorize any repairs.  Since your shop says the warranty company will reimburse you for their work without authorization from the warranty company it is time to find a different shop.  Perhaps your warranty company can suggest one.

Once your car is at a repair shop, agree to warranty company requests for an oil consumption test.  After all they have the check book.  Once the test proves excessive oil consumption, your shop must determine the cause and give the warranty company an estimate for repair. 

Since you have provided all service records supporting regular and frequent care to the vehicle there should not be any problem having the claim approved.  Based upon all documentation and technician findings your warranty company will respond with approval or denial of your claim.  Until then, only authorize the shop to do procedures with warranty company prior approval.

It’s Time For The Hook
Question 3
I hear a popping sound in the 6.0-liter diesel engine of my 2004 Ford Excursion.  It also does not idle smooth.
 
There are no technicians in my area who work on diesel engines.  It’s 90 miles to my dealership.  Do you know what might cause problems like this?  Do you think the engine would be harmed if I drove to my dealership? N.N., e-mail

Answer 3
Consider towing the vehicle to your dealership.  A condition such as this could be caused by a bent valve, broken valve spring, bent or broken pushrod or even a burnt valve.  Troubles such as this can cause more damage to the engine if you drive the vehicle.  It’s time for a tow.

Tracking Down Glitch In Cruise Control
Question 4
The cruise control quit working in my 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 4.6-liter engine.  I checked all the fuses with a multi-meter and they are fine.  I also checked the connections on the cruise control unit in the engine bay.  They are fine, too. 
Is there anything else I can check before I take the car to a repair shop? A.D., e-mail

Answer 4
There is one.  It is likely your car is equipped with a cruise control deactivation switch on the brake master cylinder.  Since these are troublesome and in some cases have caused fires, disconnect the plug on the unit and head to a dealership.  While this may not be the cause of the trouble it’s better to be safe than sorry and disconnect the plug.

Once the car is at your dealership a technician can perform tests on the system.  More than likely the cause of the trouble is a failed vehicle speed sensor on the transmission.  If so, replacement of the part does not require major surgery on the transmission.

Engine Rattle Sound Is Not A Mechanical Problem 
Question 5
Occasionally, the 6-cylinder engine in my 2001 Infinity QX4 makes a rattling sound when accelerating or when going up a hill.  It does not do it every time I drive.  I checked the oil level.  It’s full.  I also had the oil and filter changed.  A mechanic at a local shop suggested that cleaning the injectors might stop the noise but this service was in vain.

Do you know what causes the rattling? S.K., e-mail

Answer 5
Your description of the noise is somewhat vague, but it appears that the engine is suffering from what is commonly called pre-ignition or ping.  The sound is similar to marbles dropping into a frying pan and usually occurs on acceleration.

One condition that causes the sound is a lean fuel mixture.  This does not mean the fuel used is the cause but the ratio of fuel to air in the cylinders is lean.  This can be caused by dirty fuel injectors, air leaks or even carbon deposits in the cylinders.  Cleaning the fuel injectors not only cleans injectors but the chemical action often removes carbon deposits in the cylinders.

Since cleaning the fuel injectors did not cure the condition it is possible a knock sensor has a fault, the engine timing may need resetting or perhaps fuel trims in the computer system needs a reset or reprogramming.  It is also possible carbon deposits are excessive.  If this is verified additional chemical cleaning might resolve the issue.

Ask your favorite technician to consider these suggestions the next time your vehicle is in his shop.

Electric Power Steering On The Blink
Question 6
Occasionally, the EPS light turns on my dash panel.  I can be driving along with no lights on the panel and suddenly the EPS light turns on.  If I continue to drive the light may stay on or it may turn off.   One time this happened I shut off the car and then turned it back on.  When I restarted the light was off. 

The car drives fine.  I don’t notice anything unusual when the light turns on.  What’s up?  B.T., e-mail

Answer 6
Your vehicle is equipped with electronic power steering.  Most vehicles are equipped with hydraulic power steering but there is industry movement to switch to electronic power steering due to fuel economy standards and more options to place system components in places where it would not make sense to place hydraulic parts.  The illuminated EPS light means there is a fault in the system.

An experienced technician with proper test equipment can determine the cause of the issue.  Since there is a factory technical service bulletin suggesting trouble in the EPS module a technician might need to replace the part in order to resolve this condition.
    
Thanks for all of your great questions.  Dr. Gizmo can’t wait to answer more.
Phil Arendt is a columnist, consultant and A.S.E.-Certified Master Technician.  Readers may send questions to Dr. Gizmo at P.O. Box 548, Cary, IL. 60013 or e-mail address drgizmo@drgizmo.ws.  ® DR. GIZMO © 1989-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment